Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from May, 2010

Spielberg, Schwarznegger reopen Universal Studios backlot

(L-R) Ron Meyer, President/COO, Universal Studios, director Steven Spielberg, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Jeff Zucker, President/CEO, NBC Universal and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger give a thumbs up during reopening of Univesrsal Studios' backlot on May 27, 2010 in Universal City, California. By Frederick M. Brown, Getty Images It was thumbs up from Hollywood heavyweights Universal honcho Ron Meyer, Steven Spielberg, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, NBC chief Jeff Zucker, and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger during the reopening of Univesrsal Studios' backlot yesterday. The lot was destroyed by fire two years ago. Unveiled yesterday were sets recreating 13 blocks of city streets covering 15 shooting areas over four acres. "What you see around you is New York and anywhere else your imagination takes you," said Spielberg, who helped design the new lot. It was rebuilt at a cost of $200 million, the largest set constru

Facts On Spielberg's/Abrams Super 8

So you've seen the sneak peak trailer for Super 8 and already like the ending to Lost you want answers.  Here's what we have learnt so far... Its set in 1979. Produced by Steven Spielberg and Amblin Entertainment. It is written and directed by JJ Abrams . It is not Cloverfield 2. It arrives next Summer. This will be an homage to Spielberg’s 1970’s/1980’s Amblin films. The trailer was shot independently of the film. The special effects for the trailer were done under the cover of Abrams new NBC series Undercovers. Even though the title suggests it, it will NOT be shot with a super 8 camcorder. It will be distributed by Paramout Pictures. The trailer features a train crash and something trying to escape from one of the containers. It mentions all materials being transported from Area 51 to a secure facililty in Ohio. There you have it.  That's all confirmed so far.  We will keep you informed when more is confirmed. By the way, for those who were wondering

What Is This From The Super 8 Trailer? There's A Hidden Face In The Trailer!

Just watching the Super 8 trailer and noticed this image flash on the screen for a split second thirteen seconds in to the trailer. Also at 1:23 this face flashes on the screen.  Any ideas what they mean? You can watch the trailer here - http://thebeardedtrio.blogspot.com/2010/05/super-8-trailer-watch-it-here.html

Chewbacca actor to visit Newport Centre (Wales) for Star Wars fair

  THE BRITISH actor who played Chewbacca in the Star Wars films will be in Newport next weekend for his first ever visit to Wales. Peter Mayhew, who played the Wookie Chewbacca in four Star Wars movies, will appear at the annual Star Wars and Sci-Fi collectors fair in Newport Leisure Centre on July 6. Mr Mayhew, who stands at 7 foot 3 inches tall, will be joined by a number of other stars from the films, including Mike Carter who played Bib Fortuna, Mike Edmonds who was Ewok Logray, and John Coppinger who appeared as Wookie Senator. All the actors will meet and sign autographs for fans at the fair, and have the opportunity to have their photograph taken with R2-D2. Steve Rogers, who was helped organise the event, said: “This is a big deal for the fans. “The biggest stars from the films were all based in America, so fans over here don’t often get to meet them. They’ll be looking for

'Star Wars: Battlefront 3' in works?

News has leaked that Star Wars: Battlefront 3 is under development, reports say. According to fan site battlefront3.net , online gaming network GameSpy is hosting a server for the title. As publisher LucasArts is yet to comment on the speculation, it is unknown whether the listed server is genuine. The Battlefront series was previously in the hands of developer Free Radical Design before Rebellion Developments acquired the rights. The studio's only addition to the series has been Battlefront: Elite Squadron for handheld platforms. Star Wars: Battlefront 3 is yet to be officially announced.

Lego Star Wars Figures Poster

Spielberg Invited to Direct Doctor Who By Lead Writer Steven Moffat

Doctor Who Executive Producer and lead writer Steven Moffat has invited director Steven Spielberg to direct an episode of the popular series Speaking to the TV Times listings magazine, Moffat – whose first episode in charge of Doctor Who airs Easter Weekend – discussed the moment when Spielberg called him at home to accept his resignation from the Tintin movie, for which he had already completed an initial script. Expected to be released in 2011, The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn stars Simon Pegg, Andy Serkis, Nick Frost, Jamie Bell and Daniel Craig and uses a motion capture 3D technique. In response to a question as to whether or not Spielberg might like to direct Doctor Who, Moffat replied: “Oh yes. If Steven Spielberg wants to come and direct an episode, he’s very welcome”, he laughed. “He’d probably be horrified by our budget and we’re a bit brutal to our directors at times, but the offer’s there…”

Spielberg to tackle War Horse

Steven Spielberg will direct a film adaptation of Michael Morpurgo's epic First World War novel, War Horse. Spielberg and his Dream-Works studio will also produce the film project, which is expected to hit the screens in August 2011, Variety and Hollywood Reporter said. Adapting the story of the friendship between a young boy and a horse during the First World War, will be screenwriters Lee Hall, who scripted Billy Elliot, and Richard Curtis, who penned Good Morning England. Published in 1982, War Horse was recently adapted to the stage in London. Spielberg, 63, is also completing work on the 3-D family movie The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn, which is scheduled for screening in December 2011.

Abrams and Spielberg Colaboration has nothing to do with Cloverfield

But it will involve Area 51. That lines up with last week's news that the film will "deal with everyday people whose personal relationships are tested when they are thrown up against extraordinarily fantastic—and possibly otherworldly—events." The film has a budget of somewhere between $45 million and $50 million, so it's unlikely to be chock-full of special effects, and will shoot this fall, which also means a later start for the Star Trek sequel, which Abrams is expected to direct.

LucasArts shows off Monkey Island 2 comparison shots

LucasArts has started slowly doling out screenshots of its upcoming Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge remake. The house that Vader built releases one screenshot of the original 1991 VGA classic, and then follows it up with an image of the flashy graphical overhaul the day after. So far we've seen the Wood Chuck's carpentry shop and the opening location, the beach (make sure you get the stick.) You can check those screenshots out in our gallery, above. The game is scheduled to hit iPhone and iPod touch, as well as digital distribution services on PC and console, this summer. If you want more screenshots, you'd better start following LucasArts on Facebook.