Celebrating the works of John Williams, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. Fans bringing you news on the movie directors and composer. We will post unbiased movie reviews and the latest news and blog posts on Lucasfilm, Star Wars and more.
Here's the official description from Rovio:
It is a dark time for the Rebellion. Evading the dreaded Imperial Starfleet, a group of freedom fighters has established a new secret base on the remote ice world of Hoth. Unfortunately the evil Darth Vader discovers their hideout, and the desperate Rebel birds must escape the AT-ATs and Pigtroopers hot on their trail.
The free update brings 20 new levels, two bonus levels and introduces the pink bird as Princess Leia. Like the other characters we've been introduced to, she brings a unique ability to the battlefield – a tractor beam that can be used pull the legs right out from under the dreaded AT-AT walkers.
Steve Sansweet announced on ForceCast that McCallum has actually already retired from LucasFilm. That bit of info got lost in the days other news that Disney announced their purchase of Lucasfilm and announced Star Wars: Episode VII for release in 2015.
With Lucas and McCallum no longer steering the ship, this means that Kathleen Kennedy is probably inheriting all their Star Wars duties. This includes everything from the anticipated new trilogy of films to the "Clone Wars" TV series (expected to move from Cartoon Network to a Disney channel after this fifth season concludes) and the long gestating live-action TV series that has been hyped for years. Plus, Disney likely has a lot of Star Wars plans in store to keep the saga live in more arenas other than the big screen, so Kennedy is going to be quite busy.
Two of the biggest names in showbiz, Steven Spielberg and Stephen King, will team up next summer on CBS.
The network announced Thursday that it has ordered 13 episodes of “Under the Dome,” a drama adapted from King’s 2009 novel about a small New England town suddenly cut off from the rest of the world by a transparent dome, from Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment. In addition to writing the source material, King is on board as an executive producer.
"Under the Dome" will launch in summer 2013 with a premiere episode directed by Niels Arden Oplev, who helmed the Swedish-language adaptation of “Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.”
CBS appears intent on turning “Under the Dome” into a summer television event by making it available across multiple platforms shortly after the network broadcast.
Despite Spielberg’s unparalleled reputation on the big screen, the filmmaker has had a spottier track record on TV: The big-budget sci-fi series “Terra Nova” was canceled after just 11 episodes on…
It was confirmed last week that Lawrence Kasdan (co-writer of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) and Simon Kinberg (co-writer of Sherlock Holmes) are penning new Star Wars installments in addition to Episode VII – which is being scripted by Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3). We’re now being told that those projects might not be Episodes VIII and IX after all; instead, Kasdan and Kinberg could be writing separate films that also take place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
Kasdan and Kinberg are “not necessarily” working on Episodes VIII & IX; rather, their screenplays could end up serving as either official ‘Episodes’ or spinoffs that revolve around side characters outside of the Skywalker clan and their close acquaintances (Han Solo, Lando Calrissian, etc.). Disney CEO Robert Iger has said the intention is to release a new Star Wars movie “every two to three years” – beginning with Episode VII in 2015 – but it now appears that some of these films could indeed focu…
Filmmaker George Lucas Wednesday filed for a permit to demolish a building in downtown San Anselmo to make way for a small new park that will become the permanent home of two bronze statues of his popular characters Indiana Jones and Yoda.
Lucas previously started preparations to relocate a large, historical fresco that is located in the building that stands next to town hall. San Anselmo town officials, however, ordered the work halted until the demolition permit, which includes submittal of a historical analysis, is approved.
Lucas, who lives in San Anselmo, announced this summer that he is donating the land the building sits on to the San Anselmo Chamber of Commerce, which hopes to raise $150,000 to $200,000 to create a park. Lucas said then that he would donate the statues and has since also agreed to pay for demolition of the building, which includes addresses 535, 539 and 541 San Anselmo Ave.
"The work just got a little out of order," said San Anselmo Town Manager Deb…
Paramount has released the official plot synopsis for the film, and it offers a few juicy clues to the identity of the villain played by Benedict Cumberbatch.
The synopsis reads, in part: “When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one-man weapon of mass destruction.
“As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death,” the synopsis continues, “love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.”
So who is this “one-man weapon of mass destruction?” Though no one has confirmed it, signs point to Cumberbatch’s character being Khan Noonien Singh, the genetically engineered superman who battled Kirk in the original series …
Jason Flemyng has, it seems revealed that Matthew Vaughn is set to direct Star Wars: Episode VII. Flemyng, who has worked with Vaughn in all of his films, found himself caught by journalists when they were speaking to him at the UK premiere forSeven Psychopaths. The reporters asked if he had spoken with Vaughn aboutStar Wars; Flemyng took the question and ran with it:
"Me and Matt have done nine films together so I'm sure I'll get the call forStar Wars. But I'm sure it's going to be literally, 'Flemyng, no...I know on paper it doesn't look like much but I promise you it's essential to the part.' So we'll see what happens with that."
"We have questions about it," Hamill (speaking for himself and Star Wars costar Carrie Fisher) told E! last night at the Hollywood premiere of his new flick Sushi Girl. "And really, they're not even at the stage where they're able to answer those questions because, as far as I know, is there a story yet?"
"I loved all those people, I really did," Hamill gushed about working with Fisher, Harrison Ford and director George Lucas on the first three Star Wars movies. "Until I know more about what they have in mind, I think it's better to let Lucasfilm make the announcements."
Hamill, 61, stayed tight-lipped when asked about who he could see taking over his iconic role in the sci-fi franchise.
"If they were going to do a story where Luke was too young or too old for me to play, they would get an age-appropriate actor," he said. "There's so many good people."
Developers from The Old Republic have announced their latest extras and expansion for the upcoming update. A new addition is called Warzone: Ancient Hypergate.
This Warzone takes place in an ancient ruin built around a Gree hypergate. The Republic and Sith Empire are doing battle in an effort to control the area and claim the lost technology for themselves. Each of the factions have calibrated a gate that will allow reinforcements to be brought directly into the battle. These gates need to be charged up to full power in order to stabilize the connection and allow for safe passage. A nearby set of energy pylons have been brought online to achieve this goal, but they have been damaged in the fighting. They slowly build up to peak power and then discharge their stored energy into the connected gate. During this discharge, a large explosion is also released as the containment fields around each pylon fail. The only safe place is inside a bunker designed with a failsafe shield that protec…
"There are Star Wars fans who don’t appreciate Ewoks for what they were,"Davis said in an interview with the UK's Metro. "We kicked arse and helped the rebels defeat the Empire. Without us, what would have happened? But some people see Ewoks as an excuse to sell merchandise; they were ‘too cute’ and so on. That’s a minority view within the Star Wars community. When I go to the events, everyone is usually happy to see me. Those are the sort of people who look forward to playing the Star Wars video games where you get to be a Stormtrooper and kill Ewoks. They know who they are."
Davis is perhaps best known for his role as Wicket. The actor also appeared in the "Harry Potter" films as Professor Flitwick. It was announced in October that Disney bought Lucasfilm, George Lucas' company that led the "Star Wars" films. With plans for "Star Wars: Episode 7" to be released in 2015, there are few details on the upcoming film, however Mich…
Production designer Rick Carter and costume designer Joanna Johnston, who have worked together on several films for Steven Spielberg, have done just that in “Lincoln,” creating a sense of authenticity in the sets and clothing. The audience is made to feel that his is a world inhabited by real people, not just actors playing dress-up.
I'm pretty chuffed that I'm on this weeks Forcecast. Its a Thanksgiving special and The Forcecast gave listeners a chance to send in a message via a voice mail or email. So I did and you can hear me around 38 minutes in. I put on my best radio voice too.
Is Zachary Quinto going to quit the "Star Trek' movie series after the second film? He recently addressed what he called "rumors" and told fans to "simmer down."
EW quoted the 35-year-old actor as saying in a recent interview that he is ready to "go in a different direction" with his career after the second film in J. J. Abrams' movie series, "Star Trek Into Darkness," hits theaters on May 17, 2013.
Quinto made his debut as Spock, a pointy-eared half-Vulcan, half-human Starfleet Academy member, in the 2009 film "Star Trek." He previously played the serial killer Sylar on the NBC show "Heroes" and currently stars on FX's "American Horror Story" as the psychotherapist Dr. Oliver Thredson.
EW had quoted him as saying in the interview: "It's like an era of association with certain roles -- a specific part like Spock, or a kind of part, like Sylar -- is coming to an end. I think it's safe to …
Pixar's Brave, distributed by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, debuted at No. 1 on the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart for the week ended Nov. 18, The Hollywood Reporter said.
The studio's latest CG-animated hit, which grossed $236.6 million at the domestic box office, also topped VideoScan's dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart for the week.
Sony Pictures' The Amazing Spider-Man, in its first full week of release, dropped a slot to No. 2 on both charts after debuting in the top spot the previous week following its Friday, Nov. 9 street date. The Marvel superhero actioner sold 28.5 percent as many total copies as Brave and 34.8 percent as many Blu-ray copies.
For Brave, 51 percent of units sold came in the Blu-ray format and 12 percent of all units sold were of the 3D version, compared with 62 percent and 15 percent for Amazing Spider-Man, respectively.
No. 3 on both charts went to Universal's Savages, the latest Oliver Stone film, and No. 4 went to…
According to Box Office Mojo, Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith is now going to be released on October 4, 2013, a week earlier than its original date. The move puts the sci-fi epic up against the new Vince Vaughn comedy The Delivery Man (formerly known as Starbuck), Robert Rodriguez's long-awaited sequel Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, and the thriller Paranoia starring Liam Hemsworth, Gary Oldman and Harrison Ford.
But good news for one 3D conversion seems to be bad for another. BOM is also saying that Fox has removed the special re-release of Roland Emmerich's alien invasion action movie Independence Day from their schedule. The film was originally supposed to have a big summer event arrival, set to come out the day before the holiday - July 3 - next year on its 17th anniversary, but now it's listed simply as "TBD." There is no explanation given for the change.
Thirty-eight years ago, Steven Spielberg wanted musical Americana for his first feature, "The Sugarland Express." He hired John Williams on the strength of the composer's folksy scores for "The Reivers" and "The Cowboys."
"Lincoln" marks their 26th film, one of the longest-running director-composer partnerships in modern movie history. Williams calls it "an amazing relationship. We've never really had an argument. It's just something that has, personally and musically, worked well."
Fifteen of those films earned Oscar nominations for Williams, and three have won ("Jaws," "E.T." and "Schindler's List"). For the 80-year-old dean of American film composers, who already has a record-setting total of 47 nominations, "Lincoln" explores yet another aspect of Americana circa the 19th century.
"I thought that the music, in some fundamental way, should have the harmonic and melodic gra…
Obama campaign manager Jim Messina revealed this morning that Steven Spielberg told him to “blow up” Obama’s 2008 campaign structure while preparing for 2012.
“Stephen gave me a great piece of advise,” Messina said. “He said ‘Jim you just kind of have to blow up the ’08 campaign.’”
Messina added that Spielberg compared them to the Rolling Stones.
“He said, ‘You’re only the 1965 Rolling Stones once, and the second time you charge too much for your tickets,’” Messina recalled. http://washingtonexaminer.com/obama-campaign-manager-spielberg-told-me-to-blow-up-2008-campaign/article/2513965#.UK0IDYdyGSo
Lawrence Kasdan wrote on both The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi, and was man of the match on Raiders of the Lost Ark. He’s also the writer-director of several films I love, from Body Heat to Grand Canyon and now, Deadline believe, he’s on Lucasfilm’s wish list for their revitalised Star Wars plans. The Hollywood Reporter say that the deals have been locked and that Kasdan and Kinberg are now on board. What isn’t set, just yet, is which of them will write which episode. They will both also receive producing credits – and presumably do some producing work. Officially speaking. You can read more about this over at http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/20/lucasfilm-want-empire-strikes-back-scribe-lawrence-kasdan-back-for-new-star-wars/
With a high score of 90 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, Lincoln received praise from critics for Day-Lewis' performance and Spielberg's decision to create an unconventional biopic that humanizes a man who went on to become an icon
Read below to see what the top critics are saying:
Todd McCarthy from The Hollywood Reporter says, “Far from being a traditional biographical drama, Lincoln dedicates itself to doing something very few Hollywood films have ever attempted, much less succeeded at: showing, from historical example, how our political system works in an intimate procedural and personal manner. That the case in point is the hair-breadth passage by the House of Representatives of the epochal 13th Amendment abolishing slavery and that the principal orchestrator is President Abraham Lincoln in the last days of his life endow Steven Spielberg's film with a great theme and subject, which are honored with intelligence, humor and relative restraint.”
LA Times' Kenneth Turan p…
Will they? Won't they? Well it appears Brad Bird Won't. For someone the fans considered a major candidate for the "Episode VII" directing job, Brad Bird remained suspiciously quiet about the gig, while just about every other candidate publicly addressed the proposition. Bird finally broke his radio silence by responding to a series of tweets that asked him if he was indeed directing "Star Wars."
"'@JoesMonster: @wearebuffaloz Is it Star Wars Episode VII? Because I really hope it's Star Wars Episode VII...' It's not Episode VII," Bird wrote on November 17.
Bird maintained that he is sticking to his previous plans to direct the Damon Lindelof-penned sci-fi movie, "1952," also at Disney. Trevorrow Won't Direct
Perhaps the most surprising rumored candidate for the director's chair, Colin Trevorrow, whose "Safety Not Guaranteed" supposedly was a hit with George Lucas, has now denied the talk. He too took to …
You can forget about J.J. Abrams directing ‘Star Wars: Episode 7‘ after ‘Star Trek Into Darkness‘ hits theaters next summer. The director now says his next film will be a new, original project that he’s keeping (wait for it….) secret.
While Abrams tells Entertainment Weekly that ‘Star Wars’ “blew [his] mind” as a kid, he has no interest in working on the upcoming trilogy (in part because he loves it so much). But while ‘Star Wars’ is not in his future, he will be working on an as-yet-unnamed project. “I have some original stuff I am working on next,” Abrams says.
This is a similar pattern to what Christopher Nolan followed during filming of ‘The Dark Knight’ trilogy. After ‘Batman Begins’ he shot ‘The Prestige’ and after ‘The Dark Knight’ he shot ‘Inception.’ Abrams shot ‘Super 8′ in between ‘Star Trek’ and ‘Star Trek Into Darkness.’
So what is the mystery project? Abrams has in development a remake of ‘Earthquake’ and an adaptation of the New York Times article “Mystery on Fifth Ave…